We’re pleased to announce that McPhillips has been selected by Birmingham City Council to deliver the £8.6m design and build project for highway improvements to the A457 near to Birmingham City Hospital.
The scheme is intended to improve safety and reduce delays on this key arterial route from the Black Country into Birmingham city centre which is currently used by around 30,000 vehicles a day and up to 2,000 vehicles an hour at peak times.
Without the much needed improvements congestion has been expected to worsen as approximately 3000 new homes are planned for the surrounding area so to alleviate this the project will be designed to include:
- Widening of the A457 Dudley Road to include sections of dual carriageway.
- Improvements to the signalised junctions of Dudley Road with Winson Green Road and Western Road and the junction of Winson Green Road and Heath Street.
- New signalised junctions will be created at Dudley Road/Heath Street and Steward Street/Dudley Road.
- Upgraded pedestrian crossing facilities to include toucan crossings for pedestrians and cyclists at Dudley Road/Winson Green Road, opposite the hospital and across the north side of the Dudley Road/Western Road junction.
- Cycling and pedestrian facilities on the north side of Dudley Road.